Monday, November 21, 2016

Thanksgiving break: day 1-2

I am having a great Thanksgiving break! I am so thankful for family and friends. I am thankful to have a job in a country which affords me so many luxuries such as a home, children, time for recreation, safety, and peace. With that being said, let me give you a run down of the past 36 hours. For your entertainment purposes only. 

1. Sunday morning. I'm getting ready for church, Shawn is studying for Sunday school. He hears Betsy say, "hold still so I can cut your hair." He immediately goes to the scene of the supposed crime. Betsy has cut Aurora Barbie's hair and a few of her own ringlets (not noticeable) and is attempting to cut Ginny's hair. Shawn apprehended the suspect and she got in trouble for the attempts to harm her sister's locks, and Betsy is disciplined. 
Later, I am teaching Ginny's Bible class and notice that Betsy has, indeed, gotten Ginny.  So there is some hair to be found somewhere in our house for Ginny's First. Major. Haircut. I tell Shawn between church and Sunday school. It is frustrating, and Betsy gets in trouble again, but when you look at Ginny's hair, all you can do is laugh. Betsy has cut her hair to the nape of the neck, and left a few long strands near the ears so you can see how much was cut off. It is like a reverse mullet or even a  double rat tail (one at each ear). I try to fix it as much as possible and even it up on Ginny and it looks kind of cute, but still definitely not what I was hoping for her first "style." 
Bear with me so we can move into Monday.

2. Monday. Both girls have dental appointments. That goes relatively well. Ginny does not like the hygienist and dentist looking in her mouth, but she cries a lot which lets them do their job. Betsy was wonderful at the dentist, as she was able to watch Aladdin, her movie of choice. She has a true 90s spirit. Teddy was supporting his sisters from way out in the waiting room. After the dentist, we need to run back to the pediatrician because Betsy needs to leave a urine sample as a checkup from a recent illness. We get Betsy a urine sample, and sweet Ginny, the victim from yesterday, takes the urine sample from the counter (it was small) and pours it on her jacket and the floor. (It could be worse, people). Now I know to watch Ginny more carefully because I had no idea she would be interested in the cup her sister had just used as a potty. We exit the bathroom and tell the nurses that the urine sample is currently unavailable and we would be back another time to try again. They are very gracious about the scenario. 

3. We have a birthday party for a cousin at chuck e cheese for lunch.  Before we can go there, we need to return home for the gift and I need to find my phone which has been taken hostage by one of the children this morning. Betsy and teddy claim ignorance. I ask Ginny, but she is conveniently nonverbal in this situation. If you have ever met Ginny, or any other member of her immediate family, you know how loud she likes to be. It's in the genes. I look everywhere i could possibly imagine. Finally I have resigned myself that we won't be able to go the the party, and I probably won't find my phone today. So I sit on the couch, sad, stress-eating Cheetos with my kids. And the phone rings. I hear it! I go and find the phone in the corner between a door and a bookshelf. (again, it could be much worse.) so I tell the kids we are able to go to the party! We are about 30 minutes late, but hey! What's new there? So we go to chuck e cheese.... And This is where I will leave you. 

It has been a wild 36 hours but I wouldn't trade my family for anything. A day in the life of our family. (Could thais be why my parents decided to a abandon us on Thanksgiving and go camping alone??? Probably.) Your family may be crazy, too. Their own type of crazy.  But let's just remember, these moments are what life is made of. Our blessings far outweigh anything that I could ever complain about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment